State Bank of India (SBI), with more than 200 year history, is the largest commercial bank in India in terms of assets, deposits, profits, branches, customers and employees. The Government of India is the single largest shareholder of this Fortune 500 entity with 58.60% ownership. SBI is ranked 59th in the list of Top 1000 Banks in the world by “The Banker” in July 2015.
02. The origin of State Bank of India dates back to 1806 when the Bank of Calcutta (later called the Bank of Bengal) was established. In 1921, the Bank of Bengal and two other banks (Bank of Madras and Bank of Bombay) were amalgamated to form the Imperial Bank of India. On 1st of July, 1955 Indian Parliament enacted an act “State Bank of India (SBI) Act 1955” and RBI acquired the controlling interests of the Imperial Bank of India.
03. SBI group has an extensive network of over 24000 plus branches & 59,000 plus ATMs in India with another 100,000 touch points to serve masses of the country. SBI has 198 offices spread over 37 countries across the world. As of 31st March 2017, the group had assets worth USD 531.24 billion, deposits of USD 400.89 billion. SBI group commands over 23.07 % share in deposits & 21.16 in advances in the domestic Indian banking market.
04. Top Management of the Bank is committed to providing “Customer Delight” to its customers and has always been improving its product line to match the customer requirements. The commitment of the Top Management has resulted in it being awarded a number of awards for the past so many years.
05. In FY 2016-17,Your Bank was selected as India’s Best Bank by Financial Express. Business Today also awarded us with the title of Best Bank of the Year (Public Sector). Your Bank has been conferred with the prestigious “Best Trade Finance Bank” award by Global Finance Magazine As a mark of outstanding performance in the area of training to its employees, your Bank has been declared the Winner of ‘Golden Peacock National Training Award’ in financial services (Banking) sector. Your Bank was also awarded the Helen Keller Award 2016 for our commitment towards promoting equal employment opportunities for Differently Abled Persons and National Award 2016 for Empowerment of Persons with Different Abilities in the sub-category Best Employer etc.
06. For our persistent efforts in scaling up technology to improve the overall banking experience, your Bank has been given the IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Award for Innovative use of technology and Digital Banking, IBA Banking Technology Award for Best Technology Bank, Best Digital & Channel Technology, Best Use of Analytics and Best Financial Inclusion Initiative, Special Recognition Award for winning in all categories in NPCI – National Payments Excellence Award, Netapp Innovation Award 2017 for Innovative Use of Data Storage and Green IT, among others.
07. Five Associate Banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank have been merged with your Bank on 1st April 2017. The Associate Banks involved were State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of Hyderabad and the State Bank of Patiala.Besides, SBI has non- banking subsidiaries/joint ventures which are market leaders in their respective areas and provide wide ranging services, which include life insurance, merchant banking, mutual funds, credit cards, factoring services, security trading and primary dealership, making the SBI Group a truly large financial supermarket and India’s financial icon. SBI has arrangements with over 1617 various international / local banks to exchange financial messages through SWIFT in all business centres of the world to facilitate trade related banking business, reinforced by dedicated and highly skilled teams of professionals.
Established in 1980 as a branch office of SBI, at Tokyo, our main objective is to strengthen Indo-Japanese business ties with focus on corporate business from both sides offering a wide range of loan products, such as trade finance, project finance, other customized products suited to the term and structure required for the purpose, apart from the related Forex products and deposit products both for Corporates and Individuals.
Located in the business district of Chuo-ku on the fourth floor of Tokyo Tatemono Nihonbashi Building above Nihombashi Subway Station, it would, indeed, be our privilege to serve you for any of your banking needs.
Osaka Branch, inaugurated in 1984, started to initially serve the sizable Indian community in the Osaka-Kobe area The Kansai region where Osaka Branch locates is the most important economic, business and international trade center in Japan next to Tokyo. Since then, Osaka Branch has grown with focus on bilateral commercial loan facilities, participation in the locally originated syndicated finances, trade finances, remittances and deposit acceptance among other services. Osaka Branch is located in the central business district in Osaka walking distance from Honmachi (Midosuji Line) and Sakaisuji Honmachi (Sakaisuji Line) subway stations..